National Governments, the European Commission and World Leaders Must Support European Cultural Organisations to Continue Collaboration with Ukraine at All Costs
The European Cultural Community is united in condemning the horrifying invasion of Ukraine by Russia. We deplore in the most absolute terms the damage caused to a free country and express our unwavering solidarity with the people of Ukraine – our friends, our colleagues, our artistic and cultural partners. We also express our solidarity with those in Russia who oppose the war and the actions of Vladimir Putin.
We are extremely concerned about the impact of the invasion on civil society. Over the past decade we have developed deep ties with counterpart organisations in Ukraine – supporting ongoing dialogue and artistic exchange, a thriving democracy, and long-term collaboration with future generations through flagship civil society initiatives such as the EU’s Eastern Partnership.
This dialogue is essential to the promotion of peace in Ukraine. Ongoing international collaboration must be supported at all costs.
We the undersigned urge national, European and global stakeholders to make funds and support measures available so that cultural and other civil society organisations can continue to actively support Ukrainian colleagues. Our organisations are ready to receive and host artists, to stage performances, to organise events, to inform and facilitate access to resources, to advocate for a peaceful solution.
But we cannot do this alone.
We stress that the European cultural sector is united and that you can count on us. We will not allow the aggression of one Head of State to destroy the peace and connections that have flourished and been nurtured in recent years. Let’s show that together we are committed to promoting dialogue, mutual respect, and artistic freedom.
Signing organisations include:
• European Theatre Convention (ETC)
• Opera Europa
• Culture Action Europe
• PEARLE*-Live Performance Europe
• E:UTSA – Europe: Union of Theatre Schools and Academies
• ASSITEJ – The International Association of Theatre for Children & Young People
• On the Move
• EMC – European Music Council
• ITI – International Theatre Institute German Centre
• Circostrada Network – ARTCENA
• European Festivals Association
• European Association of Independent Performing Arts
• IMPALA – Independent Music Companies Association
• Europe Jazz Network
• Live DMA
• IN SITU
• European Composer & Songwriter Alliance
• European Dancehouse Network
• The European Association of Conservatoires (AEC)
• GESAC: European Grouping of Societies of Authors and Composers
• Liveurope, the live music platform for new European talent
• Independent Music Publishers International Forum (IMPF)
• Független Előadó-művészeti Szövetség
• Hungarian Theatre Society
• CEDC – Coalitions européennes pour la diversité culturelle
• ECHO European Concert Hall Organisation
• Michael Culture Association
• REMA – European Early Music Network
• YOUROPE – The European Festival Association
• International Artist Organisation
• IAA Europe
• Federation of European Publishers
• International Federation of Coalitions for Cultural Diversity – IFCCD
• International Federation of Film Distributors’ and Publishers’ Associations (FIAD)
• ACCR – Association des Centres Culturels de Rencontre
• Le Syndicat National du Théâtre Privé et la Fédération SCENES
• Trans Europe Halles
• FIM – International Federation of Musicians
• EFNYO – European Federation of National Youth Orchestras